Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Durban - day 1 - the flight

I am deviating a little bit from the main flow here which was science. But anyways the title is Eureka and it means ' i found out'. And here i will tell how i found out Durban!!

27th April and 1st May were holidays in SA and i took the Monday off. I had five days and i decided that i will go and see Durban. I booked a return flight from Cape-town to Durban on the SAA. I found a place called 'The Palms' on the net which offered B+B facilities and the prices were reasonable and i booked the a room for 4 nights. I rented a car as well without which its impossible to travel in SA.

So it was all set. The flight to Durban was at 6.15 in the morning. Naren dropped me to the airport. The weather was not too good for a holiday. It was raining badly. Not a good start at all.
I got myself a window seat and sat looking outside at the sun-rise. For a moment i imagined myself to be outside earth somewhere in the sky and watching this plane. We were actually rushing towards the sun rise. It was beautiful to watch the sun come up (or technically speaking - the earth rotating towards the sun) .

The plane was traveling at around 850 km/hr and the earth rotates at around 1600 km/hr. So effectively we were rushing towards the sun at about 2400 km/hr ( actually it will be little less as we were traveling at an angle to the equator and not parallel to it) The distance between Durban and Capetown is around 1700 km. So the sun comes there around 1 hour early than in Capetown. Pretty interesting calculations!!

As the plane added around 850/km hr speed, i could see the sunrise at almost 15 minutes earlier than i would have seen it in Capetown!

Anyways, i was doing all this calculations and also savoring the colors of the sun rise and the landscape below. When i landed at the airport it was cloudy and looked as though the day was going to be like that all through. I got my car and with the road map given by Caroline (The owner of the guest house where i had booked ) i was able to reach the destination. I missed only one turn on the way! i could see many roads named after Indian names - Himalayan road, MG road etc.. my first Durban Indian exp. I had many more to go still!

No comments:

Google